In Syros trippers have no danger from wild animals .The most common danger is from aggressive dogs that can be found in your path. In this case:
- If you were running, stop. Running enhances the aggressive behavior of the animal.
- Avoid sudden jerky movements.
- Do not look the dog directly in the eyes. The dog can perceive it as a challenge.
- If the dog dashing against you, stand still or move slowly and shout loud “Down!” = ”ΚΑΤΟ” in Greek. Sometimes many dogs know the command and there is always the chance to obey your command and stop. Do not raise your hands in a defensive posture, because this move could infuriate the dog.
- Always carry a thick stick. Try to ”hit” the animal with the stick, without injure or kill it. Be careful not to lose your balance and fall, because then you are more vulnerable.
- Do not approach a dog the time is eating or breastfeeding.
Vipers are easy to recognize by the inflated “cheeks” because of poison glands, giving its head a strong triangular shape and the typical zig-zag line on its back.
“When a viper bites you, visit the nearest nursing unit after tying the point not too tight, just above the wound.
The anti-snake serum should be administered only by a physician and only if the bite comes from viper and not from other kind of snake. You understand it from the shape of the wound. If there is a normal print of jaws, the snake has no poison. If the wound seems to have scratches ,then probably caused by snake having poison in its back teeth. Finally, if there are two bold prints of teeth, then this is definitely from Viper and should take timely measures as the poison needs (in a healthy body) four to six hours to be fatal.
- The razor etching on the wound to remove the poison is not suitable as it may have the opposite effect , that is, to penetrate in the blood more easily.
- Also puffing venom by mouth should be done with great caution and only if there are no sores in the mouth of the person who will attempt to remove the poison.
In most cases the sting causes only discomfort. If, however, after a bee sting, wasp, ants, ticks, etc. have symptoms such as severe local pain, redness, swelling and itching, then:
- Remove the stinger if you have been stung by bee or wasp.
- Clean the site of the bite with soap and water.
- Use ammonia if somebody has .
Caution , in case of anaphylactic shock occurs. The symptoms are:
- Extensive swelling of the body, including the face, lips, tongue or airway (suffocation).
- Dizziness and feeling weak
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty swallowing
Allergic crisis treated with injection of epinephrine (adrenaline) antihistamines or other drugs. There are ready injections of one dose. The injection should be given subcutaneously, usually in front of the thigh. In some cases you may take more than one dose.
- Do not leave exposed food or drinks.
- Do not wear strong perfumes or colognes.
- Do not leave exposed hands and feet.
- If there is a history of allergy, then you must be properly equipped, on the advice of a doctor.
- Do not try to drive away with jerky movements bees and wasps. Insects are terrified and will definitely sting you. Remove them with gentle and persistent movements.
- Always remove the stinger with tweezers. We do not try to remove it, squeezing the point with our nails as it may penetrate deeper into the skin.
- The ice and cold compresses and special gels help in this case while the antihistamine pill reduces symptoms.
- The hypersensitive individuals may experience an anaphylactic reaction manifested by hypotension, profuse sweating, difficulty in breathing and bruising. These individuals should bring their special adrenaline injections. Also, it would be good to wear some signs – on hand or neck- indicating their sensitivity in case they lose their senses.
Scorpions secrete toxins that cause severe pain and allergic reactions. The scorpion sting is very painful but fortunately does not lead to dangerous situations . Causes skin irritation and is treated with good washing and generally on a similar way as bite from a wasp.
How to deal with a snake bite in a dog?
On hikes in Syros many bring with them their dog. Dog owners must carry cortisone injection (solucortef 500) and just as we realize that our dog has been bitten by a snake inject it immediately. Then, as quickly as possible should visit a vet because we do not know what kind of snake has bitten the dog and what kind of treatment it needs. As we all know, there are snakes that are not poisonous and just cause local swelling and pain, but there are snakes (like Viper) that their bite is deadly. Since we cannot diagnose what snake has stung our dog (unless you have seen it) it is advisable to visit a veterinarian immediately to make the necessary actions .